Tag: mission statement
Our Vision Statement and Mission Statement
Our vision is to create an organization that people seek to inspire and challenge them to become the best they are capable of becoming in all aspects of their life and help them create complete, balanced, and enriched lives.
Destiny’s Odyssey’s mission is to challenge and empower individuals to reach their utmost potential. We are dedicated to enriching of the lives of individuals by instilling in them the knowledge, skills, and belief necessary for personal development and performance improvement. We believe in developing and balancing all facets of a person; mind, body, heart, and soul. Our ultimate goal is to enhance the mind, develop the body, encourage the heart, and enrich the soul.
Crafting Your Personal Mission Statement
Your personal mission as something you discover, rather than something you create. The statement you craft is reflective of what you discovered within yourself.
A mission statement is not something that is written in a day. Committing a personal mission to writing can takes weeks or even months to complete. It takes thoughtful introspection, careful analysis, and usually several drafts to produce a final sense of purpose. The process of Self Discovery will help you gain insight into your purpose.
To write a mission statement that is reflective of who you are and what your sense of calling or purpose is in life, you must take the time to ponder many things. Therefore, when you begin to craft your statement, plan on spending time totally alone. Find a quiet place to contemplate. Get away from distraction of everyday life. This solitude will help you get in touch with what matters most to you. Without interruptions, you can increase your self-awareness by asking yourself a series of questions to help you gather information about your values and dreams.
Points to Ponder
To get you thinking about the development of your mission statement, spend some time contemplating the following questions:
- Who do I want to be?
- What do I want my life to be about (Purpose)?
- What do I want to do?
- What do I hope to achieve in life?
- What do I stand for (Principles)?
- What are the values that I hold most near to my heart?
- How do I want to impact the lives of others?
- What do I want people to say about me?
- How do I want people to remember me when I am gone?
- What actions can I take to reveal my purpose and my values?
Using your Answers
The answers you develop through reflection on these questions will be the basis of your personal mission statement.
Most mission statements are simply a sentence or a brief paragraph. It should be a concise statement that represents the person you want to become and your core values. Most statements will start with “To” or “I will.” Some people will write a concise statement that encompasses his or her universal life philosophy, while others will write a more elaborate statement that addresses several aspects of his or her life including relationships, financial, spiritual, physical, and professional.
After you have drafted your first version, review it, think about it, and make notes and revisions. After you have a chance to make some changes, create a second draft and then again review that for possible modification. Remember this is your philosophy or motto so you what to make sure it accurately represents you, your values, and your purpose in life. Once you have formed a permanent statement, post it where you will see it daily so that it can inspire you.
Personal Mission Statement
A personal mission statement is an individual statement that declares who you want to be, what you want to do, and the values and principles upon which your life is based.
It is a concise, easy to remember statement that guides your actions and behaviors. It essentially describes how you want to live your life. Therefore, it should be aligned with your core values, beliefs, principles, ideals, and passions.
Like an organization’s mission statement, your personal statement is your reason for existence. It provides direction and illuminates your purpose in life. It can be thought of as your personal credo or philosophy.
A good mission statement is;
- Easy to memorize
- Aligned with your core values, beliefs, and principles
Benefits of a Mission Statement
There are several benefits to creating a personal mission statement. First, it defines your purpose in life and provides direction for you throughout your life. It can act as a compass and show you the way and keep you focused on what you want to achieve in life. It also provides daily motivation and inspiration, as there is a solace in being able to return to a written statement of your essence and purpose in life.
Additionally, by creating a mission statement you become more self-aware because crafting a personal mission statement requires introspection through self-awareness and self-analysis. By discovering your mission, you will gain a greater understanding of who you are and what you value. When you clearly know who you want to be and what you want to do in your life, you feel a strong sense of purpose. You are not controlled by what life brings to you, but rather guided by a deep commitment to following your innermost values.
Since a mission statement represents your values and principles, it can help you make decisions throughout your life. As you travel on your life’s journey, you will find that you will take many side roads, and have to choose which roads are best for you. A mission statement becomes a personal constitution that can be turned to when making major life decisions. With a mission statement, you become an effective decision maker in both your professional life and personal life.
“When you are inspired by a great purpose, all your thoughts break their bonds. Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties, and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.” – Patanjali
Personal Development Plan
The Odyssey – Destiny’s Map
Our lives are anchored in our own personal traits and fundamental values, beliefs, and principles. Therefore, it is essential to understand yourself and who you are.
- Increase your understanding of who you are
- Identify your personal attributes (honest, trustworthy)
- Identify your values and principles
- Determine your tendencies and habits
- Establish your needs
- Understand your emotions
- Establish your Interests
Hopes and Dreams
- List your hopes and dreams for the future
- Identify your Life Dimension Goals
- Find career that corresponds to your personality and interests
- Determine and describe characteristics of the person who you want to be
- Create a Crafting your personal mission statement
Vision for Life
- Determine where you want to end up on your journey
- Determine what you want to achieve along the way
- Determine how you will fulfill your mission or purpose
- Crafting your vision statement – a picture of where you will be in the future
- Self Assessment Process – critically review the quality of your own performance, skills, and abilities.
- Determine which skills, competencies, and abilities you want to develop
- Identify gaps in your skills, competencies, and abilities
Strategic Development Plan
- Set challenging and rewarding personal goals
- Create a plan for achieving your goals
- Create a plan for attaining or developing your skills, competencies, and abilities
- Establish positive habits for personal development
- Incorporate a plan for improving mental conditioning
- Take daily action towards your goals
- Enhance Personal growth through Core Dimensions Dynamics™
- Periodically measure and gauge your development
- Review your plan and make adjustments as needed
Core Dimensions Dynamics™
Printable version of Personal Development outline – Odyssey Plan